Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Trip to Mysore, India and other stuff

Last weekend we took a trip to Mysore, India, which was a three hour drive south of Bangalore. It was an interesting time. We were quite popular there, as we were the only light skinned people for what seemed like miles. We are used to getting stared at when we are out in Bangalore, but this was a little more then normal. We couldn't get too far withour someone asking to take our picture.Our driver, Stephen, was with us and was quite helpful navigating the crowds. It was hot and crowded. The Indian people seemed to want to touch our kids faces and hair, especially MaryKate. Our maid, Rosey, told me that some of the Indian people think blonde hair/blue eyes are lucky so they want to touch the kids to get some of their luck. The kids are actually usually quite nice about it, but after awhile it gets old.

It was an Indian holiday, Dussehra, around October 5. On this holiday, the cars, busses, trucks, bikes, etc. get a blessing and decorated to help keep them safe. So, all over Bangalore the cars, trucks, busses, motorcycles were all decorated with paint and flowers. The Timken office here had a little ceremony at which the cars were blessed. So, our SUV got a blessing. I figured it couldn't hurt! The kids loved this too. 

I'm getting a little braver. I am now walking out of our compound about 1/2 mile to get to my exercise class. While walking, I have to wear long pants and have my shoulders covered (in 85 degree heat) so not to draw any more attention to myself. But I like being able to get out on my own and I feel a little more independent.

There is another Indian holiday coming up next week. We are taking a trip to Kerala, India, which is on the southern coast, along the Arabian sea. The kids are off school for a few days and Brian has meetings in Kerala, so we are tagging along. We will be staying on the beach for a few days. I can't wait!

We are still struggling with the lizards in our house. MK and Sarah are sharing a room, which I thought would never happen, but they don't want to sleep by themselves with lizards loose. I would give anything for some weather stripping, not a common item in India.

Oh....found out today that our boat shipment has made it to Sri Lanka. It is getting closer! Still probably two weeks away. I've had visions of our container on the ship that is stuck off the coast of Venezula, so I'm glad it has made it safely to Sri Lanka. I can not wait to have our beds. We have been sleeping on air mattresses for about a month now.

Missing everyone! Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Is Jono ok with the lizards? I guess you will feel less vulnerable once your beds get there and you are off the floor!

    Hope your trip to the beach in Kerala was as fun and relaxing as anticipated!

    ReplyDelete